Protrusion of the intervertebral cartilage is thinning and decrease in elasticity of the fibrous cover of the cartilage when vertebral pulp makes the fibrous cover outside. Thus external parts of the cover of the cartilage remain whole, without breakages.
If the observed part of the cartilage is not more than 5 mm — then they speak about MPD protrusion if it is more than 5 mm then it is a protruded disk.
Between vertebras, in the center of the disk, there is the Nucleus pulposus surrounded with the fibrous ring from the connective tissue. It has viscous consistence and has a function of depreciation of body movements.
If not to take prevention and treatment of protrusion, the progressing disease will lead to prolapse of the Nucleus pulposus into the spinal canal and the protrusion will pass into the following stage — hernia nuclei pulposi.
Reasons of protrusion of intervertebral disks
- a sedentary life, broken metabolism;
- nature of the works assuming excessive static loadings;
- weakened back muscles, wrong body posture;
- hereditary factors, infections, spine injuries;
- sports overloads (any kinds of sport connected with strike loadings, sharp bendings, body turnings, heavy weight-lifting);
- osteochondrosis, scoliosis, osteoporosis, etc.
Till the protruded part of the disk doesn’t touch nerve roots the disease practically has no symptoms, there can be reflex tension of muscles of the back in the affected part of the backbone. Each localization of protrusion has its features:
- in case of affection of the intervertebral disk of cervical or chest spines, pain can “be felt” in the neck, nape, top extremities and in the area of ribs.
- • in case of the protrusion of the lumbar department nerve roots suffer which are responsible for sensitive and motive functions of the lower extremities. Burning, tingling, numbness, decrease in sensitivity, fast fatigue and constrained movements are quite characteristic for it.
Protrusion of the cartilage of the cervical department
The cervical spine is rather mobile. The protrusion of intervertebral disks will provoke the following symptoms:
- constant pains in the neck;
- weakness and fast fatigue of muscles of the pectoral arch;
- feeling of numbness in top extremities;
- the periodic sharp or aching pain in top extremities.
Protrusion of the disk of the chest department
Degree of mobility of the chest spine is lower, than of cervical or lumbar ones. However, the protrusion can develop in this department, for example, because of the spine injury or hereditary features.
In case of protrusion of the intervertebral disk of the chest spine there can be the following symptoms::
- periodic sharp pain in the back center;
- decrease in the tone of muscles of the prelum abdominal;
- weakening of the back muscles;
- intercostal neuralgia
Protrusion of the intervertebral disk in the lumbar department
Lumbar vertebras of L4 and L5 more than others have loading as it is the center of body weight of the person, and it has higher amplitude of movements. Therefore, affection of the intervertebral disk at this level will have a more vivid clinical picture:
- long pain in the lumbus;
- constrained movements, a low tone of muscles of the hip of the shin;
- disorder of sensitive and motive functions of the lower extremities;
- disorder in functions of organs of the small pelvis.
Treatment of protrusion of the intervertebral disk
The main exercises of physiotherapy exercises at protrusion of the intervertebral disk are to negate a pain syndrome, train force and elasticity of the back muscles, strengthen the backbone, decrease the level of compression of nerve roots, improve blood circulation in the field of the affected intervertebral disks.
Highly qualified specialists of the health and fitness center “Progress” use author’s techniques to prevention, correction and treatment of protrusion of the intervertebral disk, which have a fine result even in difficult cases.